Monday, September 16, 2013

St. Thomas

This past week our family, my sister, Amy, and my parents all met up for a week of vacation in St. Thomas! It was amazing and so fun. I loved every minute of it and it was so great to be able to go do things sans kids - because if my parents (and Amy!!) hadn't been there to watch the girls, we wouldn't have been able to do hardly anything that we did! All the pictures are from my phone, but Cody took some AMAZING pictures that I can't wait to share!

Fri (Sept 6)
We got up bright and early (4 am) to get ready for our trip. We were all packed but had to be at LAX by 6 am and had to go to Huntington Beach first to pick up Cody's brother so he could take our car back for us. As soon as I walked into the girls room to wake them up, they both jumped out of bed and said, "No more sleeps!" They were SO excited about going on vacation and I was so glad they took the whole long, long day in stride. We got through the airport fast and our first flight was to Miami. We got to Miami around 5 pm (ET) (1 pm PT) and quickly caught our next flight to St. Thomas. When we were leaving Miami, the pilots asked Chloe and Preslie if they wanted to fly the plane! I was so excited for them, and a little jealous :)
I was a little worried with how Charlotte would do, but she did great and so did the big girls. We finally arrived in St. Thomas at 8 pm (ET) and caught a taxi to our hotel. It was expensive ($60!) but we didn't care because we were just excited to be there! My parents were already there in the hotel (Marriott's Frenchman's Cove Resort), so we stopped into the lobby just to ask how to get to our specific resort. Instead of it being a quick stop, they took forever calling to my parents to ask if they knew we were coming, then asking someone to help us with our bags. The bellhop took sooooo long and I kept looking at Cody like, "Seriously?! Why is this happening to us?" But he just said, "They're on island time!" I tried to calm down but I just wanted to be done traveling and get to our room. Finally we got there, but my mom and sister had come to try and find us so they weren't there. Instead, my dad greeted us with virgin Miami Vices -my new favorite drink. They are so yummy - pina colada mix and strawberry sauce and who knows what else, but allllll good. Eventually my mom and sister came back and the girls were going crazy and so excited to see them all.
Our plane with St. Thomas in the background. Unfortunately we couldn't see anything because it was so dark, but we were excited to see the view the next morning!

So excited to finally be off the plane and on vacation!!

Sat (Sept 7)
Saturday we checked out the hotel and the beach - our resort was right on the water. You literally opened the back door by the swimming pool, walked 3 steps down, and were in the sand, on the beach.  Cody went snorkeling and the girls and I (including Amy and my mom) went swimming in the infinity pool. We also played Minute to Win It at the resort. They had stuff going on basically every hour that we mostly didn't take advantage of. But some of them sounded fun, so we went to check it out. They only played one game (which was kind of lame), but I ended up winning! It was a cup stacking game. You had to stack the cups and un-stack them, and the fastest player won. I did it in 9 seconds. My gift was a bottle of coconut rum. Lucky me :) There was only one other adult that played besides me and Amy (both non-rum-drinkers...or anything-drinkers actually), so I went up to her and said, "I'm LDS and won't be drinking this. Would you like it instead?" She was pretty happy about that and it was just my first time to give away rum that week. :)
That night we had dinner at Coco Joe's (that picture looks fake, but that's really exactly what it looks like sitting at a table. The sand comes right up to the porch/fence. Everyone had a mahimahi special except me, I had the chicken special. I didn't really know what "chicken special" meant when I ordered, but it was delicious! So was the mahimahi. We got Miami Vice's again, because duh. The special also came with dessert, so I tried the Key Lime pie. I'm not a huge fan of key lime anything, but my dad said it was the best KLP he had ever had. I liked it but didn't love it. Cody asked for a dessert he had read about online. Our waitress said it wasn't part of the special but she'd get it for him anyway. It was ammmmazing. It was grilled pineapple with brown sugar and some kind of liquor on it, with pound cake and ice cream. SO good. There was even some guy that walked by on the beach and stopped and was asking about it because he wanted to get it later. We all loved it and ate it and Cody was a little upset that he didn't get to eat his dessert, but was a good sport about it. :)

Next up, Sunday and Monday! :)

2 comments:

Karen M. Peterson said...

Sounds so amazing. I want to go there!

Ash Kelley said...

Looks like you guys had so much fun! Can't wait to hear about the rest of the week!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...