Sunday, March 28, 2010

My Super Exciting News

In the summer of 2008, I was in an Advanced Media Writing class here at the university. It was an amazing class - you know, the ones where everyone automatically becomes friends and really cares about each other? We would come early, leave late, and we all became Facebook Friends so we could talk more often. Our teacher, Brother Bennett, was so amazing. You really felt like he cared about you and wanted you to become a better writer.

One of our assignments was to go to a local cemetary, pick out a person, research, and write about them. I spent hours and hours and hours on it. I had picked someone named Edwin and I found a few things about him, but never how he died...I also found his house here in town and it was so awesome to see where he had lived! I love genealogy!!! It was so exciting.

At the end of the semester I asked Brother Bennett if he would host a BBQ at his house for our class, if we all signed up to bring food. Everyone went for the idea and we had a great time! I just loved that class.

One day, Brother Bennett told us that for extra credit, we could write an article that could be submitted to the New Era. His daughter-in-law is (or was...I'm assuming she still is) the editor-in-chief of the magazine and his kids had written many articles for it. He taught us how to write an article that is appropriate and acceptable to the New Era and all church magazines (Basically just short and to the point).

I decided to take him up on the extra credit and I wrote an article about my sister, Catheryn, and myself. After I turned it in, Brother Bennett took my aside and told me I should really consider sending it in. He said he really enjoyed it and he thought it would do well going through the rigors of getting chosen.

Well, over a year and half later, I decided to take him up on it.

About a month ago, I sent in my article to the New Era! I was excited and apprehensive. They sent me an e-mail that said because so many people send in articles, you won't be notified if you've been rejected. You only will know if they want your article. It also said if they did want it, you wouldn't hear from them for 6-8 weeks.

Yesterday, only 33 days after I sent in my article, I went to get the mail. I saw a thick envelope with my name on it, and with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the top left corner.

I felt like I was getting my mission call! I was SO excited. I quickly tore it open and read the first few lines:

"Dear Stacey:
Thank you for submitting your material to the New Era. We would like to purchase your article entitled "A Second Chance and Just in Time" for possible publication in the magazine. If this is acceptable, please return the agreement within 30 days. A check for $25.00 will be mailed to you upon return of the attached agreement."

It continues to talk about the contract that was also enclosed. But I didn't read that part until much, much later. I just wanted to read the first part over and over! I didn't care that they were paying me, I was just SO excited (and still am) that they wanted my article!!!

I know it says "possible publication," and I know they might buy it and I won't ever see it in the magazine. But for now, they want it! I'm so so excited. As soon as I read it, I just started screaming and jumping up and down.

Great thing I live in a cul-de-sac with apartments all around so plenty of people could witness my excitement. Oh well, I definitely didn't care! I was (and still am) thrilled.

When I first send in my article, there was a place to mark if you wanted payment or not for your article. I was worried, when I clicked the payment option, that they wouldn't want my article because of that. But I decided if they were willing to pay me, I'd know they really liked it and would be hopefully more willing to actually use it.

It worked!

I can't wait to see what happens with this. I can't really post anything about the article, and I definitely can't post it in it's entirety, because I've signed the contract now, and that's not allowed until they publish it first. However, I'd think they would tell me if they're publishing it; so if they do, I'll definitely let you all know!!!!!

7 comments:

Priscila said...

That's great!!! How exciting :D

tiff snedaker said...

Wow, that is so super awesome! I would love to know if it gets published so I can pick up a copy. And that's great that they are paying you for it. I would have been jumping up and down too :)

Dalynne Denhof said...

that is SOO Special! not that your story isn't special enough, b/c i know what it's about; and that is very personal and special. but then to have it published (most likely) and be able to touch the hearts and lives of numerous people!! what an exciting thing! i'm SO happy for you Ü

Annalee said...

That is awesome. Being a communications major, I have to take Media Writing classes. I've learned I like normal writing, not media writing. For me it can be difficult at times. But I am so happy for you.

RussellsRoost said...

Way to go Stacey! That is so exciting! I can't wait to read the article! Keep us posted!

the milners said...

That is Super Duper Exciting News! Now you've got me hooked - I want them to publish it so I can read it! btw, I have your dish from the brownies, but I have been lazy. I even rewashed it since it sat on my counter for so long! I should stop typing and call you, huh? :)

jonandalicia said...

That is Awesome!!! Congrats! I hope that they publish it so I can read it and say "hey, I know the author!" Way Cool!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...